Cat Clinic of Cary Blog
Keeping Your Kitty Healthy Through Feline Wellness Exams
Wellness care for any pet is important, but oftentimes our feline companions are the last to get veterinary care. This is partially due to their general disdain for car travel (or being moved anywhere, for that matter), but also partly as a result of their perceived independence and expertise in masking symptoms.
Unfortunately, because cats are often adept in hiding their discomfort or keeping to themselves when they are in distress, many felines do not get the care they need until health problems take a more serious turn.
Like dogs, cats too require annual preventive care to maintain complete health. From important parasite screenings to a thorough nose-to-tail examination, our feline friends are kept at their healthiest when they are given the wellness attention they deserve.
A Focus on Feline Wellness
Before bringing your best friend to any veterinary clinic, it’s advisable to inquire about their expertise and experience with feline veterinary care. Clinics that operate on high volume canine care can sometimes overwhelm our feline friends, especially when there is chaos in the waiting area and not enough attention given to the specific needs of cats.
Generally speaking, cat-savvy veterinarians and specialty clinics who dedicate their care to feline health and wellness will offer customized wellness care for cats, specific to common feline conditions, life stages, and behavioral needs.
At Cat Clinic of Cary, we focus on holistic, personal attention with every wellness exam and include the following as important components to your pet’s health:
- Thorough physical examination
- Thorough consultation, covering history and current health status
- Dental examination
- Behavioral assessment
- Nutrition and weight management
- Vaccines and parasite prevention
- Heartworm and internal parasite screenings
Encouraging Feline Wellness At Home
Many feline fanciers also want to better understand their cats’ at-home health care needs and the best ways to cultivate wellness on a daily basis. Here are some recommendations to create optimal well-being for your fur friend.
- Follow you cat’s recommended dietary guidelines and provide fresh, clean water each day to encourage hydration (some cats love those drinking fountains – and, of course, the kitchen sink).
- Scoop out the litter box each day and consider adding an extra litter box for multi-cat families.
- Periodically wash food and water bowls, as well as beds, towels, and blankets used for sleeping.
- Challenge and engage your pet through puzzles, toys, and scratch posts or climbing trees.
- Cats love to look outside, so a window perch or other elevated stand will be a favorite hang-out for your fur friend.
- Keep fur tangle-free through daily combing or brushing.
- Observe your cat’s appetite, energy levels, bathroom habits, and so on, and make note of any changes. These observations can help diagnose age- or health-related issues earlier and increase the chances of successful treatment or cure.
Although our cats are often the “low key” members of our furry family, this shouldn’t dissuade you from maintaining vigilance when it comes to daily care and veterinary feline health needs. Through consistent wellness care, you encourage your cat’s quality of life and help to increase longevity, energy, and overall health through the years.
To schedule a wellness examination, please give us a call today.